Before I knew I was pregnant, I had an appointment with my acupuncturist. After our typical check-in, she asked about my concerns and very off-handedly, I mentioned that I was a little bit late for my period, though I wasn't surprised since we just got back from our trip.
She checked my pulse and looked at my tongue (business as usual) but then gave me a different treatment than usual. It didn't click until I was on my way home, and I wondered for a second, "If" and then... "Nah!" Well, she knew I was pregnant before we did but hadn't wanted to get our hopes up which I can really appreciate.
Anyway, a month later I sat down in the same office, smiling ear to ear. And she smiled ear to ear. And then we jumped up and down! I said, "You knew!" and she knew.
She said she had been thinking for a while about the type of treatment she wanted to share with me throughout my pregnancy (how awesome is she?) and described "jing". I know a bit about acupuncture (thanks to you!) but had never heard of jing, only qi, or "vital energy". Jing is basically one's essence. So, she was going to treat points that would (in her words) "make the baby more of who he or she already is". She went on to say that this didn't mean "prettier", or "smarter" of course, just more of him or herself.
This blew me away. I was so touched by the simplicity and beauty of this concept. Couldn't we all stand to be more of who we are?
Now, this I am not 100% on, but as I remember it, she looked up jing and literally translated, it means "guest house".
I have never been a guesthouse before! I love that idea. After telling my friend about this experience she was reminded of the following quote, which again bowled me over. I am so easily "bowledoverable" these days.
"Your children are not your children they are the sons and daughters of life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you..." The Prophet
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment